Over the last 10 years there has been a big push to bring mental health therapy to the forefront of the healthcare continuum conversation. In the United States we’ve made progress but we still have a ways to go. Progress starts with removing the barriers in the Behavioral Health or Mental Health system to make sure people are able to receive the treatment they need.
Over ⅔ of people in the United States who have a diagnosable mental illness do not seek treatment.
These are some of the reasons why:
- It takes 33 days on average to schedule a first appointment with a mental health professional
- This number jumps dramatically if it is an appointment for a child or if a psychiatrist is needed
- The average cost is $100 per session with a therapist
- This adds up quickly for those who are being treated weekly or biweekly
- 50% of counties in the United States have 0 Behavioral Health professionals available
- Even those willing to travel long distances may not have adequate access to transportation to receive the treatment they could benefit from
- People may be afraid to ask for help, or may not want to be seen at their local office asking for help. So rather than get help, they ignore their issues.
The cost of ignoring mental health
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) estimates that we lose over $100 billion dollars in productivity from untreated mental illness and $193.2 billion in lost earnings per year.
So what can we do about it?
- Implement a service like AllyHealth. AllyHealth members are able to see a therapist on average in less than 24 hours.
- Every primary member will have access to a certain number of $0 copay talk therapy appointments for their family each year. And if more appointments are needed beyond your allotment of free visits, then additional visits are available at competitive rates.
- AllyHealth has therapists in all 50 states available for our members
- Members can avoid fear of stigma by receiving treatment through a web or mobile app wherever they feel most comfortable.
Interested in learning more?
As of right now, AllyHealth’s Behavioral Health Services are only available as a Group Service to those who have purchased our Essential’s Bundle. Not sure if you qualify? Email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out.
If you’re a broker looking to introduce our Mental Health Service to your clients contact email@example.com for more information.